COBIT was introduced to help organizations align their IT department, tools, and processes with the company’s overall business objectives. Since its launch in 1996, it has evolved multiple times, with newer features and updated frameworks to keep up with the continually changing technology. The latest version of COBIT, COBIT 2019, was introduced after seven years of releasing COBIT 5 in 2012. In this article, let us explore the key benefits of COBIT 2019 and how it is different from COBIT 5.
Introduction to COBIT 2019
There are multiple components of COBIT that are included in the framework over the past releases. These elements are:
- The main framework to align IT processes with business objectives
- Control objectives to aid the integration of IT processes with the overall business goals
- Management guidelines help with the assignment of roles and responsibilities that come with the framework
- Process descriptions, which help guide the framework integration in terms of new IT processes and management
- Maturity models to help companies access the full potential of all the new IT processes that come with the adoption of COBIT
COBIT 2019 is inclusive of multiple frameworks that can be used to align IT with management as well as the general governance processes of enterprise-wide IT. It was created as a response to the drastic change in technologies in the last decade since COBIT 5 was released. A variety of new threats and other security concerns have arisen in the last five years itself, and COBIT 2019 helps companies with the tools for governance and risk management that they need to handle the threats of today.
Difference Between COBIT 5 and COBIT 2019
The main principles and elements of COBIT remain the same, regardless of which version is being used by the organization. The only thing that changes is the type of problems this framework addresses. 73% of companies who have adopted the COBIT framework for operations have noticed a significant improvement in how the IT or business integrations work. This is all the more reason for companies to upgrade to COBIT 2019, with better options for integration and design framework for operations.
The principles for COBIT 5 have been evolved and adapted to the modern-day technological requirements to be implemented in COBIT 2019. These evolved principles include principles for governance systems and principles for governance frameworks.
Some key differences between COBIT 5 and COBIT 2019 can be listed down as follows:
- Contextual design factors that fall outside of the organization
- Strategic design factors that are focused on the decisions of the enterprise
- Tactical design factors which are based on the adoption of new technologies by the organization as well as different IT models in place by the company
- COBIT performance management model to help achieve optimization of organizational processes and evaluation to check for areas of improvement
- The concept of focus areas where organizations can customize the aspects of the company they want to focus on and create models to implement necessary measures
- The core principles of COBIT 5 have been reevaluated. Some new additional objectives that COBIT 2019 helps achieve have been added, and the outdated ones have been removed
- COBIT 2019 has also come up with more publications to better help working professionals and organizations implement the new framework. These publications are:
– Introduction and methodology for the COBIT 2019 framework
– Updated objectives for governance and management with COBIT 2019
– Design guide to help companies implement the IT and governance framework
– A guide for implementation to help optimize all processes
Key Benefits of COBIT 2019
COBIT 2019 offers organizations different ways in which they can improve their overall IT and business governance. This means the improvement processes are regularized and happen periodically, allowing companies to perform better every day.
COBIT 2019 does this by offering the following features:
Module for Performance Management
COBIT Performance Management, or CPM, is how companies can measure the performance of different parts of a framework and score them. It offers organizations a way to evaluate the individual performance of different features to see what works best for the company and what does not. This way, they can eliminate excess processes in the framework and focus on only those that generate value.
Enhancement of Implementation with COBIT Certification Courses
COBIT 2019 comes with different publications and certifications that working professionals can complete to generate the most impact possible with the adoption of COBIT 2019. This is extremely helpful for organizations who want to adopt COBIT 2019 at an enterprise-wide scale. This way, companies can rely on the certified professional who has expertise in the COBIT 2019 processes and framework to guide them through the adoption process.
Providing an Open-source Model
Since technology keeps evolving and there are newer releases in terms of technological updates and updates in threats, organizations need a framework they can adopt, which will help them with the same. COBIT 2019 has an open-source model that keeps updating with the necessary updates for future frameworks to help the framework adapt to the market changes. Feedback gets generated from global governance committees, and all necessary improvements get made with all future updates of COBIT 2019.
Assistance to Improve IT and Business Governance with the Help of Certifications
COBIT 2019 certifications help improve the overall implementation of COBIT in the organizations that use the framework. The certifications hold a lot of value for working professionals as well as organizations. The benefits of getting a certification in COBIT 2019 before the implementation of the framework are:
- Understand the changes made to COBIT 2019 from COBIT 5 to improve the status of alignment of IT operations with the overall business objectives in the organization
- Optimization of all existing processes that help companies achieve their business goals using IT
- Improvement in the compliance regulations and additional assistance to help companies maintain their regulatory standards and requirements
- Options for reassessment and improvements for updates in the applications, servers, and risks may present themselves in the future. COBIT 2019 provides solutions for improving upon far-sighted opportunities and threats
- Updated risk management features to help organizations and stakeholders increase the trust they have with other stakeholders in the company
There are many benefits to adopting COBIT 2019 because it is a safe, future-proof option that can help optimize IT to suit any organization’s evolving business needs. The certifications in COBIT 2019 can help unlock the true potential of the framework in its full capacity. Organizations and working professionals can benefit from a COBIT certification and advance their careers and improve the working experience for employees as a whole. Popular IT Security and Governance certification courses are clearly the need of the hour to implement and utilize the system effectively.